The executive Ponies at SHOWPO get to the bottom of sheet masks! Featuring our NEW Swiss Snow Algae facemask.
What the devil are they and what the devil do they do!?
Sheet masks. We’ve seen them all over Instagram and Youtube with little understanding of what they actually do bar making people look like this…
So what are they?
They’re basically a sheet (shocker I know) that is soaked in solution to target different skin issues and the sheet keeps the formula moist, allowing the product to absorb and work the whole time you’ve got it on (when a mask is dry it isn’t penetrating as much, therefore, doing a shitter job).
What do they do?
The serum formula that’s packed into them penetrates deep into your skin giving it a boost of all sorts of goodness. Sheet masks can brighten, reduce pigmentation, clear up scarring, hydrate and smooth out fine lines.
Why are they better than traditional masks?
They’re not! They’re just a great, quick and easy way to give your skin a boost. The individual packaging makes them really convenient and fuss-free to use. They’re great for keeping your skin hydrated on flights and for using pre-party to make your skin all healthy and glowy and amazing.
How do you use the scary looking bastards?
- Open the package and gently pull the sheet out. They’re generally VERY gooey and moist. Yes, I’ve used that word twice in this post now. Deal with it.
- Figure out where all your features are meant to go under it (eyes in eye holes etc) and slowly place on your face, forehead first, and smooth down your face making sure it’s applied to the whole face and not dangling from your cheek.
- Leave it on for 20mins (refer to packaging) and chill. Why not watch a few great Showpo vids while you wait?
- Peel it off and throw it away.
- Rub the remaining serum into your skin.
- Have awesome skin.
What one should I use?
1. Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Concentrated Recovery PowerFoil Mask – I tried this fellow at my desk and everyone was laughing at me until I took it off and they had to bask in the glory of my glowing skin. Who’s laughing now betches. Used weekly, the *hyaluronic acid based mask seals the surge of moisture into your skin, leaving a hydrated and dewy base. Buy a pack of 4 at Sephora for $120.
*Hyaluronic acid is a powerful ingredient used in heaps of skincare. It has the insane ability to hold over 10x its weight in water, making it the perfect ingredient for bringing moisture back into the skin.
2. Neutrogena HYDRO BOOST Mask – Another hydration saviour, this is a firm favourite amongst my gal pals. Perfect for popping on prior to makeup for special events (or you know, Friday), it leaves your skin smoother and more radiant. Which is exactly what you want before you start wielding prodz at it. Buy packs of 5 at most pharmacies for an easy $19.99.
3. SK-II Skin Signature 3D Refining Mask – This one is for my older lasses who feel like they’re losing that plump elasticity they had as a 21yo. The fluid in the mask contains anti-ageing ingredients niacinamide and n-acetyl glucosamine… now I have NO idea what they both mean but they sound incredibly impressive and unlike when you google food ingredients don’t just mean ‘sugar’. The cloth-like fabric makes your jawline more defined by the ‘pulling’ technique while it’s delivering all these fancy AF ingredients into your pores. Packs of 6 can be purchased at department stores for $190.
4. ProPlenish Anti-Ageing Facemask – These feel way more exxy than they actually are… Formulated with cool peptides and other ingredients from the Swiss Alps, it increases the firmness of your skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines. I don’t really get the science-y stuff behind it but it makes my skin feel and look bloody good so that’s all that matters. Available here for $39.95, which in a pack of 4, is less that 10 buckeroos each.
5. Abalone Sheet Mask – I always assume anything skincare that uses sea ingredients must be pretty darn good as the sea itself is so good for your skin! Yes, I am one of those weirdos who you see at the beach dipping cuts in the salt water or rubbing it on a zit. This mask is great for sensitive skin and contains abalone extract with minerals, proteins, and amino acids to protect your skin and provide deep and thorough hydration. Available at Sephora for $48 per pack of 8.
6. MECCA COSMETICA Lit From Within Sheet Mask – You know how some gals just have skin that glows but not in a sweaty way, more like someone with a great highlight without actually using one? Well, this brightening mask delivers just that. The triple-duty beauty illuminates, hydrates and perfects the complexion all at once. The hydrogel material allows for quick delivery of concentrated doses of brightening and moisturising ingredients including a white flower brightening complex and vitamin C to the complexion. Will set you back $15 for one at MECCA.
7. Skin Republic Bubble Purifying + Charcoal Face Mask Sheet –Formulated with activated charcoal, this mask is amazing for anyone with problem skin in the form of pesky pimples. Charcoal acts as a magnet to attract dirt and oil, which is why it’s in so many acne products. When exposed to the air the mask begins to bubble and foam, removing impurities within the skin’s pores. The mask is also formulated with a fruit complex containing tomato, lime, lemon, orange, apple and grape to gently exfoliate and remove dead skin cells for a bright, fresh and luminous complexion. Available here for $7.99, which is still less than my Starbuck order.
See full article here on showpo.com