Collagen supplements are your new secret weapon against ageing skin, hair and joints. The benefits of collagen supplements are far-reaching, helping you feel and look younger by working from the inside out. While collagen benefits people of all ages, it effects are most noticeable in people over 50. As we age, the production cycle of collagen slows. By topping up your collagen stores with collagen supplements, you can slow your biological clock.
Not all collagen supplements are created the same though. The best collagen supplements are crafted from marine collagen, as it’s the most bioavailable source. This means it’s easy for your body to absorb the nutrients in marine collagen to enhance your skin, teeth, nails, joints and even your muscle strength. Scientists agree collagen could be the secret to healthy ageing, here’s why:
1. Collagen supplement benefits include reduced joint pain
If you’re over 50, knee and hip pain are probably nothing new to you. As we age, the cartilage that coats your joint surfaces can become slimmer and compressed. This degeneration is a common sign of ageing, but the process can be slowed.
Exercise and strengthening help decrease the load on your joints, but when your joints are sore, the last thing you want to do is exercise. One of the reasons for this is the bony contact of joint surfaces touching each other in areas where cartilage is thinner, leading to arthritis.
The solution? Healthier cartilage! When your cartilage is healthy, it’s better able to cushion the weight transmitted through your joints, stopping wear and tear and minimising the pain from osteoarthritis. Research agrees:
- One study showed collagen can decrease the symptoms of osteoarthritis, especially joint pain.
- Another study showed by combining collagen supplements with other joint supplements like chondroitin and glucosamine was effective too. Participants experienced a 43% decrease in joint pain and a huge 39% increase in joint mobility.
How long does it take for collagen supplements to work?
- In one study, adults took 2 grams of collagen every day for 70 days. The participants experienced significant reductions in their joint pain compared to a placebo group. This decrease in pain made them more able to get moving and exercise more(which also helps joint pain and function)
2. The best collagen supplements can make you stronger
As we get older, we lose small amounts of muscle mass each year due to a process called sarcopenia. Amazingly, by replenishing your collagen, you can help increase your strength. After all, up to 10% of muscle is made up of collagen! Research agrees:
- A study of premenopausal women showed an increase in fat-free mass and grip strength when collagen supplementation was paired with resistance training compared to placebo. Plus! The study showed an increase in leg strength and greater loss of fat!
- One similar study of elderly men put participants into two groups: Resistance training plus collagen supplements vs. resistance training plus placebo supplements. When combined with resistance training, the group experienced an increase in fat-free mass, increased muscle strength and a greater loss of fat mass compared to the placebo group.
3. Collagen supplements can help your skin fight the signs of ageing
You know your skin has changed in the past decade and it’s all because of collagen. Collagen has important functions in your skin: It provides elasticity, letting your skin bounce back after frowning, smiling and laughing. In your 30’s, your collagen production starts to slow, which weakens the bond between the dermis and epidermis, leading to wrinkles and dehydration. This becomes even more pronounced in your 40’s and 50’s. Thankfully, you have a solution: collagen supplements.
Collagen supplements top up the collagen your body is no longer producing, helping boost hydration in your skin to counteract the effects of ageing, sun damage and pollution.
Instead of fighting ageing with topical treatment, collagen supplements help remodel the skin’s matrix from the inside out.
- Most exciting is one study’s findings that taking collagen supplements for 12 weeks minimised the depth of women’s wrinkles. Another study found collagen supplements boost other proteins that help fight the signs of skin ageing, including elastin and fibrillin for a multi-faceted anti-aging effect!
Your secret weapon against ageing is collagen supplementation. The best collagen supplements work from the inside out to help boost your body’s collagen production that has slowed with age. Whether you’re struggling with joint pain from osteoarthritis, or you want to slow the dehydration and fine lines of your face, collagen supplements can help. Look for high-quality supplements crafted from marine collagen to enhance the effects and the most bang for your buck.
SHOP ProPlenish marine collagen here